Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day Forty-Seven: St Barbara Greek Orthodox Church


Today is Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras is underway...fresh on the heals of a Superbowl victory for the hometown Saints.  All very good for New Orleans.  And I guess why I thought about going to take photos Saint Barbara's today.  It was completed only in the last year or so and I love it's dome and arches.  I've photographed it many times over the last few years.  Construction took more than a year and I first shot just the steel scaffoldings that came to hold the dome. 

I don't honestly know very much about Greek Orthodoxy, other than that it has no connection whatsoever to Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday or Mardi Gras.  And that they build beautiful churches.  St. Michaels, in my hometown of Clifton, NJ was a beautiful church, and I've seen others in Boston and the DC area that are also gorgeous. 

You can learn more about Saint Barbara's and Greek Orthodoxy at the Church's website:   http://www.stbarbarachurchnc.org/NewsandEvents.dsp

Til tomorrow...


Please check out my main blog: http://bmcportraits.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment