Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day Forty-Nine: Red


In addition to the stuff I shoot for this 365 project, and the stuff that goes on my main blog (link below) I am also working on some longer term projects.  One that I have been concentrating on a lot lately is pictures of yards and porches around Durham.  I am not certain yet what it is I am trying to show.  It's more of an exploratory exercise...to take a thousand or more photos with a common subject matter and to see what it tells me about the way I see the world through a lens.  I've been calling it my Suburban project, though not sure that's even a working title...it's just a way to refer to the work at this point.

That series is all in black and white.  Today's photo won't make the cut for the project.  It's all bout the color.  Red. 

I've thought about featuring a photo that I've taken for the Suburban project here on the 365, but for the most part it's not the individual photographs but rather the compilation that is what I hope will make the final presentation compelling.  That is not to say that the individual photos aren't good.  I think they are.  But my intention is to portray them as a series of diptychs (two photos side by side) where the images either reinforce or contradict each other.  And while I could put up a diptych as my photo for the day, it's rare to find two photos on the same day for a diptych. 

I have a mental catalog of the images that I've shot for the Suburban project and I look for the second photos that I think will be interesting side by side with them.  Or start new diptychs when I find new subjects that don't fit against something currently in the catalog.

But while I was out driving today shooting stuff for the Suburban project, I came across this singular pair of red pants drying on a clothes line strung across a porch on a house with red shutters.  I circled the block to come back and get the shot.  I knew it wouldn't work for that project, but would be my 365 for today.

Til tomorrow....

Please check out my main blog: http://bmcportraits.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment